Breaking News

Q Magazine 20th Anniversary Special

















Oasis make a few appearances in this months 20th Anniversary Special.

Albums

The Greatest Records Of The Last 20 Years

#1 Definitely Maybe

Recorded for around £85,000, Definitely Maybe remains the benchmark by which British guitar music must be judged. Rejected by Factory boss Tony Wilson for being "too baggy" the band's hybrid of Sex Pistols aggro and Beatles melody caught the ear of Creation boss Alan McGee after they forced their way onstage at a Glasgow club, threatening to trash the place if they couldn't play. It was this attitude that informed Definitely Maybe's many high pionts, from Rock 'N' Star to Live Forever.

Taking the baton from The Stone Roses, Oasis led the charge for a post-acid house youth who felt that anything was possible. A manifesto for it's times, the album became the fastest-selling debut in British history at the time. The Gallagher brothers' combative reltionship saw tours cancelled, interviews collapsing in punch-ups and Noel briefly quitting the group. All in the first year. Rock 'N' Roll was back.

#8 (What's The Story) Morning Glory

A second Oasis classic proved Oasis were no flash in the pan. Hello to the drug-frazzled Champagne Supernova, via Wonderwall, these songs elevated Oasis to the pantheon of British rock greats.




















Singles

The outstanding songs since 1986. Bet they're all look good on the dancefloor.

#6 Live Forever

The Gallaghers' first Top 10 hit perfectly captured the starry-eyed optimism of the Britpop era, even though Noel himself has admitted he didn't think it was "that good".




















20 Best Catchphrases

#1 "Mad For It!"


Liam Gallagher Circa 1994-1996




















2o Great Moments In Q's History. As Told By Q Folk Past And Present.

'Oasis Licked My Eyeballs'


#8 London and Milan 2005

I first met Oasis in 2002. It was like chairing a therapy session for the recently divorced. I remember nodding and wincing a lot and not really asking many of my prepared questions. Liam described Thom Yorke as a morris dancer, his ex as a monster. Noel quipped he'd married for tax reasons. In May 2005 I went to meet them prior to the launch of Don't Believe The Truth. No one mentioned to me that my previous interview had been cited in Noel's court case with ex-wife Meg Matthews.

When my eyes met Noel's the look I got back was the sort of stare with which I've seen mutants kill people on Doctor Who. Five minutes later he'd walked out. It seemed unlikely we'd ever speak again. However, Q's Editor negotiated a truce and I followed the band to Milan. What came next was bizarre.

At first they called me a student and a stupid cunt and threatened to kick me. Then they cuddled me and licked my eyes. They plied me with wine and marched meoutside to meet fans.

Finally, Liam stole my phone and rang my then girlfriend at 3am to ask her what colour knickers she was wearing. She was livid. Far from starstruck, she was invigilating some important exams early next morning.

We split shortly afterwards and as part of the "settlement" I lost a much-loved Nico album. So in a roundabout way I like to think we are quits

Michael Odell

Source: Q Magazine

No comments