Breaking News

'NME Should Be Very Proud Of Our Sucess'




















NME: Congratulation on your BRIT award.

Noel: "Yeah, we're finally up there with Eurythmics, Sting and Bob Geldof, so I'm not really sure that congratulations are in order. We're taking it now because otherwise they're going to ask us every year. It seemed the right time. We'd put out ' Stop The Clocks' and we're all under 40. So we just decided, 'F**k it, let's do it now."

What have you got planned for the night?
"I hope people aren't waiting for us to smash the gaff up or something. We're just going to play five songs, have a party that night, get f**ked. We haven't got anything special planned, we're not that sort of band. They did say 'Can you do a medley of your greatest hits?' but I find that slightly pretentious. The NME Awards are more natural. You get in there, get pissed, go off and get more pissed."

How important was NME to your success?
"I think we should be very proud, but so should NME. I used to read it every week back in the '80s, and it would always say, 'Keep a look out for this lot, they'll take over the world' for once it actually happened! We're the band that came out of those pages, took Indie to the mainstream, gave every single band of the day ambition and inspired a whole generation of kids who are coming through now."

When did you realise Oasis were going to be huge?
"When we released 'Cigarettes & Alcohol'. I was dead against releasing a fourth single from the album, but it became the biggest-selling single off Definitely Maybe'. I think that album had the same effect as 'Never Mind The Bollocks'. Those two albums were the most important albums of the last 40 years. Bands are still forming today because of both those albums".

Where do you see your musical legacy in the current scene?
"It's difficult to say, but it's there because you get told how many bands formed because of that album. When I first met Arctic Monkeys they came into our dressing room and Alex (Turner) was saying he got a guitar because of Oasis. So I asked him, 'How old were you when 'Definitely Maybe' came out?'. He was nine! That f**king bent my head."

People are calling your Britpop rival Damon Albarn the Bowie of his generation - what does that make you?
"He's David Bowie because he is always changing? Oh well, we're Slade - I'm Noddy Holder (laughs) I've got a lot of respect for Damon, I really do mean it. Because I'm indifferent to Damon he thinks that I think he's c**t. Our Liam will talk to him, I won't because he's just another singer in a band to me, but I don't think he's a c**t. Good luck to him."

So what next? A new album?
"Our producer Dave Sardy is coming over for the Brit's so I guess we'll have a chat and kick around some ideas. I've got eight songs that I'm pretty happy with. Liam has one or two that he thinks are brilliant. I fancy doing something more elaborate with this one. It's about time".

Source: NME Magazine

No comments