Breaking News

Noel: We're Up There With Sting




















Noel Gallagher is unsure whether tonight’s Brit Award for Oasis is a compliment or not.

He will collect the gong for Outstanding Contribution To Music and the band will close tonight’s show with a live performance.

But Noel said he is now terrified he will be lumped in with all the boring old farts.

He said: “We’re finally up there with Eurythmics, Sting and Bob Geldof.

“So I’m not really sure that congratulations are in order.”

Noel said he and brother Liam decided to accept the honour because it seemed the logical thing to do, coming after the release of the band’s best of album.

He said: “Otherwise they’re going to ask us every year. It seemed the right time.

“We’d put out Stop The Clocks and we’re all under 40.

“So we just decided, ‘F*** it, let’s do it now.’ ”

And don’t expect fireworks when the Earls Court event is shown live on ITV1 at 8pm. Noel insists they will be on their best behaviour.

He continued: “I hope people aren’t waiting for us to smash the gaff up or something.

“We’re just going to play five songs, have a party, get f*****.

“We haven’t got anything special planned. We’re not that sort of band.

“They did say, ‘Can you do a medley of your greatest hits?’

“But I find all that slightly pretentious.”

Noel is in no doubt though that Oasis deserve the award.

He told NME: “Definitely Maybe had the same effect as Never Mind The Bollocks.

“Those two albums were the most important albums of the last 40 years.

“Bands are still forming today because of both those releases.

“When I first met Arctic Monkeys they came in our dressing room and Alex Turner was saying he got a guitar because of Oasis. So I asked him, ‘How old were you when Definitely Maybe came out?’. He was nine! That bent my head.”

Despite all the years passing, Noel is still not a big fan of Damon Albarn.

He added: “I’ve got a lot of respect for Damon, I really do mean it. Because I’m indifferent to Damon he thinks that I think he’s a ****.

“Our Liam will talk to him. I won’t because he’s just another singer in a band to me but I don’t think he’s a ****. Good luck to him.”

Tonight will be a watershed moment for Oasis, when they put their past behind them and start a new era.

Noel confirmed: “Our producer Dave Sardy is coming over (from the States) for the Brits so I guess we’ll have a chat and kick around some ideas.

“I’ve got eight songs that I’m pretty happy with. Liam has got one or two that he thinks are brilliant.

“I fancy doing something more elaborate. It’s about time.”

Source: www.thesun.co.uk

No comments