Breaking News

Wanted For Crimes Against Rhymes




















Music legends from U2 to Oasis and Duran Duran are in the running for the least coveted prize in rock - the award for the worst verse of lyrics ever written.

All three bands are on the list of 10 nominees for the title, handed out by radio station BBC 6Music.

They're up against some stiff competition including techno duo Snap, who penned the unforgettable line: "I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer."

But the Durannies are hotly tipped to take the prize for this gem from Is There Something I Should Know: "Don't say you're easy on me, you're about as easy as a nuclear war."

U2's Bono earned his nomination for a verse from Elevation, which featured the line: "I've got no self control, been living like a mole now."

And Oasis main man Noel Gallagher is "honoured" for this baffling line from Champagne Supernova: "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball."

Other top contenders include 80s pop stylists ABC for: "Can't complain, mustn't grumble, help yourself to another piece of apple crumble."

Listeners to 6 Music sent in their nominations and the top 10 was chosen by the station's DJs. The winner will be announced today on Marc "Lard" Riley's show.

Lard's 6 Music colleague, rock hero Tom Robinson, once wrote a song called Wish I had A Grey Cortina.

But he said: "One of the benefits of only ever having had a handful of hits myself is that most of my own monumentally awful lyrics have been mercifully forgotten.

"A couple are so cringeworthy that I've deleted them from my website in the hope that no one will notice."

Source: www.dailyrecord.co.uk

No comments