Breaking News

Noel Gallagher: 'Johnny Marr Made Me Pick Up A Guitar'















Oasis leader admits The Smiths inspired him to form a band

Oasis leader Noel Gallagher has admitted that The Smiths inspired him to pick up a guitar.

The star claims that seeing the Manchester legends on 'Top Of The Pops' for the first time turned his head.

"I remember seeing The Smiths on Top Of The Pops, and I don't mean this in a sycophantic way, but I wanted to be Johnny Marr," he said. "He had the Brian Jones haircut, the turtleneck, and the big red semi-acoustic guitar and he was cool as fuck."

Gallagher made the admission on this week's Britpop edition of '7 Ages Of Rock'.

The show will also recall the rise of a host of indie bands including Blur, Suede, The Stone Roses, The Libertines and will document Oasis's legendary Knebworth gigs.

Reflecting on their famous gigs Gallagher added: "Knebworth House is Batman's house in the films. Did you know that? Well, when you see the Batman films and they drive through the big gates, well that's Knebworth House. So there I was driving into Batman's fucking gaff right, in a Rolls Royce, off my head!

"And I remember driving into this big field, and sitting on my Rolls Royce thinking I was Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, and nearly having a panic attack cos I'd been up all night drinking, and going yeah! I'll take it. Where do I sign?"

'7 Ages Of Rock' will be aired on BBC 2 on Saturday at 9pm and on BBC 1 on Sunday at 11.05pm.

Source: www.nme.com

No comments