Breaking News

Liam Gallagher On Beady Eye, One Direction, Ozzy Osbourne And More














Thank God for Liam Gallagher. Necking shots of tequila at £17 a pop, he has returned just in time to rescue rock 'n’ roll.

The BRIT Awards was a tamer affair than a Suri Cruise tea party but no-one manages to ’ave it larger than the legendary Beady Eye frontman.

And I know, because I got to join Liam at the launch of his band’s second album BE at London’s Soho Hotel.

The booze flowed from the moment Liam walked into the bar before the record was played to a handful of invited journalists.

Glass of vodka and tonic in hand, Liam leaned against the bar oozing rock-star vibes with his John Lennon-style sunglasses.

Yes, most would look plonkers wearing shades inside but somehow he got away with it.

“I’m here to make you feel cool – I’m not here for me,” announced Liam, 40. “I could do other sh**. I do it also ’cos I like the music. If I wanna do something I’m gonna go and do it. I’ll do what I do regardless.”

With guitarists Gem Archer, 46 and Andy Bell, 42, and drummer Chris Sharrock, 48, milling around, all eyes were still on Liam – even when the album was being played in the darkened room, as we munched on popcorn.

Liam – the naughty lad in the back row of course – danced along to every song and yelled: “Tune!” when each finished.

Proper grooves and smooth vocals rang out on Soul Love, retro rhythms on Iz Rite and the softer side of Liam on Start Anew.

But all ears were on Don’t Brother Me, which includes the lyrics: “Give peace a chance”.

It has had the industry whispering it’s an apology to estranged brother Noel, following Oasis’s split.

“It’s not an olive branch,” snarled Liam when we returned to more drinking, post playback. “If I wanted to say sorry to Noel for something I didn’t do I’d ring him up.

“This is a better night than Our Kid would give you, isn’t it? I bet he offered you a polite glass of wine and that was that, like a slug.”

I have to admit I’ve never hung out in a hotel gym with Noel.

That was where our chat continued, as Liam wanted somewhere less hectic to talk.

As he sat on a press-up bench, he called for tequila and a man with a deep wallet headed to the bar.

Liam declared: “No-one has more fun than me, I’m a rock ’n’ roll star.

“I met Harry Styles when we played the Olympics – and while I like One Direction, Harry Styles isn’t having more fun than me, and won’t ever. He was glad to meet me.”

Liam formed Beady Eye in 2009 the day after Oasis split, even though he had more than enough money to take a break.

“I do it ’cos I’m addicted to it and I can’t get out of it man,” he admitted. “That’s what I’m born to do. I do it ’cos I wanna do it.

“I don’t do it for you and I don’t do it to be Ozzy Osbourne. I do it because I do it. And even if I wasn’t cooking I’d still do it. I’d still be cool even if I wasn’t in a band, I wouldn’t lose out on anything because I’ve been in a band – and a good band. It’s not about being No 1.

"I’ve still got enough f***ing chickens in my egg to still go with the flow.”

With the tequila racked up, Liam confided that while he’s not a great fan of The X Factor, Beady Eye will be involved in the 10th series.

His management company Quest have taken on the contract of looking after artists from the show such as last year’s winner James Arthur.

He said: “We’re doing X Factor; we’re in talks to perform on it.

“I don’t care what people say when they complain that rock is dead, you have to take the opportunity to play to a huge audience.

“But I don’t sit around listening to new music and I don’t care about the Rolling Stones at Glastonbury because I’m not in the Stones.”

The honesty spills out of Liam – and love or hate him, you can’t deny he’s entertaining.

He then downed three tequilas in a row and went outside for air and a ciggie to level out.

When he returned, Liam requested another vodka and tonic which he proceeded to pour into my wine glass as he thought I was being “a square” and needed to become “a circle”.

“I’m not a songwriter, I’m a part-time songwriter,” he announced. “I’m a rock star.”

And one of the best I’ve enjoyed the company of in years.

BE is out on Monday, June 10.

Source: www.dailystar.co.uk

No comments