Breaking News

Another Oasis Exhibition Opens In Manchester


Missed Chasing the Sun at Old Granada Studios? Fans now have another chance to see photographer Jill Furmanovsky's work with the Manchester band.

A new Oasis exhibition opens in Manchester tomorrow, following on from last month’s Chasing the Sun retrospective at Old Granada Studios.


Acclaimed music photographer Jill Furmanovsky, who spent years on the road with the band and whose work featured in the band’s official exhibition in October , will be showcasing more of her pictures at the city’s Central Library.

Her show, DNA Oasis, includes striking portraits of the Gallagher brothers as well as early live images and candid behind-the-scenes shots - some of which have never been on show before.

“Noel and Liam were OK with being photographed, but they had short attention spans”, said Jill.

“They didn’t want to hang around for hours, which suited me as a photo-journalist. I work quickly. Maybe that’s why they liked me.

“I look at some of the photos now and remember what moods they were really in - but somehow, I usually managed to persuade them to pose for me.

“I had the sense that Noel thought it was important to document everything that was going on at that time – it was all happening so incredibly fast.”

Jill, who made her name in the 70s and 80s shooting legends including Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin and Bob Marley, took her first pictures of Oasis at a gig in Cambridge in 1994, the year Definitely Maybe was released.

She went on to become their unofficial tour photographer, charting their rise to career-defining shows such as Maine Road, Knebworth and beyond, right up until their split in 2009.

“Oasis had been signed the year before”, Jill said. “At the time, I was putting together a book of my work, The Moment, which started with an image of Paul McCartney from his time with The Beatles. I wanted an up-and-coming group to bookend the collection and they seemed to fit.

“Once I’d photographed them, I thought that was the end of my rock-and-roll years. But then Noel asked me to go on tour with them - and I was still working with them years later.”

The exhibition has already been paid a visit by The Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, who is pictured in the studio with Oasis in one of Jill’s photographs.

“I have many images of other great Manchester artists, including Morrissey and The Buzzcocks - so I would love to come back to Central Library in future with a DNA Manchester exhibition”, she added.

DNA Oasis opens tomorrow, November 2, and runs until January 28, 2017, in the library’s first floor exhibition hall. Entry is free.

Source: www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

No comments